As adoption of Gaffer 0.56 or later is contingent on moving to Arnold 6, we appreciate it may take a little longer to switch production shows over. People may also move directly to the the upcoming release of 0.57.
This post contains a quick recap of the main artist-facing changes in the 0.56 series for those moving up more recently.
- Deep image support: GafferImage now supports deep image compositing, new ‘Deep’ prefixed nodes provide deep data specific operations.
- MergeScenes: This new node allows the hierarchies of two independent scenes to be merged.
- ShuffleAttributes, ShufflePrimitiveVariables: These nodes allow a locations attributes and primvars to be renamed/copied.
- Lighting texture visualisation: The viewer now supports the visualisation of light textures and gobos, along with more general improvements to light and camera visualisation.
- Crop 2D + improved UX: The Crop Window Tool can now be used from the image view and is easier to edit.
- Catalogue columns: The Catalogue now shows the status of a render and supports custom columns, to integrate shot data, etc.
- Backdrops: Context variables can now be used in title/descriptions.
- Transform and Camera tools: New modifier keys to change movement precision.
- Set Expressions:
containingoperators allow more efficient sets and more flexible filtering.
- OSL: Added example scenes for OSL nodes, see
- Instancer: Much more flexible options for choosing which locations are used as sources.
Bug fixes to the ImageReader, ImageWriter and Resize nodes mean that the generated images will differ substantially in some circumstances.
The following nodes have renamed plugs and/or added features, such that files saved in 0.56 are not fully compatible with 0.55 : Instancer, OpenGLAttributes, Light and Camera.
See the full release notes for more details..